Prosthetic Records Artist- Howling Sycamore Interview up










Howling Sycamore.
Answers by Jason McMaster and Davide Tiso.

 1.     Being the 2nd album released by the band but the 1st I've gotten to hear. How did the band come together and what brought Jason and Davide to a common ground?

-DT: Howling Sycamore is a project that started in June 2016 when I was asked to write guitars for the extreme metal band of an acquaintance. The drum parts for the project were already recorded with defined structures and accents. I was used to writing songs starting from guitar ideas, having only drums to rely on forced me to use a completely different point of view when writing my parts. 
The material composed pleased both parties but it didn’t really fit with the project it was intended for. I felt that the songs could have grown into a much more ambitious project and I decided to use those guitars to start my own band.
Reconfiguring the band based on the guitars that I had already written, I thought it was necessary to keep the extreme metal drumming angle but strongly felt that the singing was not supposed to be a screaming or growling style but closer to old school heavy metal.
Scott Evans (Antisleep Recording, Oakland, CA) who produced our debut had the idea to contact the ex-Watchtower singer Jason McMaster. I saw McMaster in action years before, when Watchtower and Ephel Duath were in the same bill at the 2004 edition of Holland’s Headway Festival. McMaster accepted to sing for the band after listening to a guitar and drums preproduction: I was ecstatic. I feel that Howling Sycamore took a life of its own that same day. 

-JM: Davide emailed me out of the blue late 2016 I believe. I did not know Davide, and we actually still have not met, so the mystery of this group is huge. He introduced himself, and said he had material he would like me to work with him on. I usually do not agree until I have heard the music, and terms. Upon first listen of the earliest tracks of the debut, I was blown away at the depth and darkness, of the progressive yet doomy structure. 
Turns out, we had actually shared a bill together in holland in 2004, when Watchtower played the Headway festival with Ephel Duath. 

2. I do hear a lot of Watchtower and Ephel Duath  was that part of it to mix your sounds into something dark, more progressive but still very metal?

-JM: I do not believe the plan was to borrow or mix any past ventures or sounds. The new take on what he does and what I do, was completely newborn. We just went with what we know and do all of the time. It became something immediately.


3. How did you hook up with Prosthetic records not a label known for the more progressive sides of metal?

-JM: Davide shopped the record a bit, they were the first ones with the most positive reaction, and they let Davide into the camp. I am especially intrigued to be label mates with my old mates, WatchTower.

-DT: Prosthetic Records was enthusiastic about Howling Sycamore since day one. When I sent them a promo they wrote me back right away, offering us a three album deal and the possibility to release the album right away. 3-4 months after I sent the promo the debut album was out.


4. The Artwork for Seven Pathways to Annihilation is very  Epic , Classic and Almost Ritualistic in the nature of it all how does it tie into the music to build the theme of records?

-DT: Placing next to each other the cover artworks of our self titled debut and the upcoming “Seven Pathways to Annihilation” one could easily notice something about the new album’s art that at a first glance might be easy to miss: the lightning that opens up in the sky above the hooded figure meditating is nothing else but the sycamore tree image in the debut reversed. This was done not only to link the two albums but also to underline a sort of continuity and evolution in the concept. 
In the Howling Sycamore imagery, I consider the sycamore tree as the symbol of the source, a vehicle to enlightenment. In the debut the sycamore tree is oozing some black liquid (symbolizing knowledge) that is feeding a worn out dog (symbolizing myself) while seven hooded figures stands around holding seven different objects: they represent my seven spirit guides holding their very specific realm of teachings.
In “Seven Pathways to Annihilation” I see myself as the hooded figure meditating: the worn out dog representing my starving mind in the debut is now evolved into a student/practitioner wearing the same hooded robe of the spirit guides in the debut album. The student is meditating alone and he’s placed in otherworldly landscapes of the mind. The source/tree is the lighting this time around and the idea of a oozing liquid returns, but it's dark red this time, to symbolize something with very human qualities: the idea of a clingy ego that needs to be purged out. The seven songs in the album want to be a very humble tribute to this earth shattering shamanic/buddhist concept that is the annihilating of the ego, one of the most important steps in the journey towards enlightenment.


5. If someone was going to listen to Howling Sycamore for 1st time how would to describe it to them?

-JM: That’s the best question so far. We often say to one another…”this is some strange music”…or…”I don’t know what kind of music this is”…
 to me it has a brain crushing tendency that is uncomfortable at times. I know lots of people who love that about music, heavy music, or just dark sounds. The clash of time and sound, but seems to just be some kind of “Pink Floyd Witchcraft”. 


6. Being based in San Fran Calif you are in a very musical hub how does that influence the sound of the band?

-JM: Hannes is in Germany, I am in Texas, and Davide is in SF. He is the only one who has traveled away from home communities to search out this sound and project. Remember, we have still never met.

-DT: San Francisco is a city that changed very much in the past decade and I would not say that this is a particularly good spot for metal music. Because of the tech boom this is now one of the most expensive city in the world to live in and if it wasn’t for the rent control I would have to leave. Small live music venues close down pretty regularly and the crowd seem to be more interested in electronic and/or dance music.
Oakland on the other hand is living a wonderful moment musically. The scene there is pretty much crust punk, old school death metal, black metal and doom, not really what Howling Sycamore is about, but I have to say that the vibe right now is so lively and vibrant, really intoxicating!

7. Are there any newer bands that are impressing Howling Sycamore that you would like to give some press too?

-JM: From my side of the world, there is not. That does not mean that the other progressive bands and fans do not have any play into this, they are what is keeping this going. The fact that our backgrounds brought us together, is enough reason for us to join forces and make strange sounds together. I feel extremely fortunate that it works. I keep expectations low and tolerable, so as to build on the possibilities of making something emotionally moving from the dirt to a mountain.


-DT: I believe we are living an amazing moment in heavy music. I feel that now more than ever bands play what they feel like and are not particularly worried about fitting a certain kind of genre or trend. The fact that record sales are so down pushed musician to do whatever they feel like. 
There are true gems out there. Think about Inter Arma. Such a talented act. From the crushing guitar tone, to the thundering drums, from the adventurous composition to the amazing use of reverb on the voice, no one sounds like them, they carved a gorgeous little spot in the scene that is just...theirs. I love that! 
Think about Artificial Brain. Those guitar lines come from outer space. The use of dissonance is simply masterful. Another example of a band that has its own, unique sound. 
Another band I liked recently is Nucleus. They seem on their own path too. One could easily hear the Voivod impact on their imagery and sound but I hear so much potential in those songs! 

8. Jason and Davide is Howling Sycamore a main focus or is just one of many Journey for both of you has you have had many bands and projects over the years in varying styles?

-DT: Howling Sycamore together with Karyn Crisis’ Gospel Of The Witches are my main focus.

-JM: For me, it is one of many. We hope to more with this, and are more than willing to pay attention to what the future offers.


9. Jason  with also doing music in bands like  Ignitor, Broken Teeth and Dangerous Toys how do the more traditional Metal and Hard rock sides help with writing very over the top Prog music like Watchtower and Howling Sycamore?

-JM: It is important to know, however over the top your sound is, rock music, in it’s most primal state, is the genesis of all of this. My writing with more classic sounding bands, or artists, is really the same. It may come from a different place on the wheel, but it is still the same vessel. I feel blessed I can be a conduit of many places with voice.


10. David a Question for you... Ephel Duath worked with an Earache Sub label for years  called Elitist correct how does a label like that differ to Prosthetic or with Karyn Crisis’ Gospel Of The Witches and Century Media?

-DT: Ephel Duath got signed to Elitist/Earache by Lee Barrett, founder of Candlelight Records. To this day I’m in contact with Lee, he has been a phenomenal supporter of my music from day one and I feel I owe him really a lot. When Lee Barrett closed down Elitist we passed to Earache Records and we became a sort of white fly in their roster. At times I felt that the label didn’t know what to do with us. Eventually, after three albums, a reprint and a remix we parted ways and Ephel Duath signed with Agonia Records. 
Century Media was a headache for Karyn and I because we signed with them right before the merge with Sony and it was a very confusing moment for everyone involved. Many people lost their job, or left, like founder Marco Barbieri who signed us, and we finished in the hands of people that simply didn’t really care about our music because we were too small as a band. At a certain point the former Century Media warehouse got moved to another location..I don’t even imagine how many boxes were involved in the process, what I know is that we are still trying to get some of those boxes in our hands. It took us two years just to have a clear answer about it. 
The connection I have with Prosthetic is very personal, if I write them I know I’ll get an answer right away. They believe in Howling Sycamore and they have been supporting us step by step in every aspect of this adventure so far. They seem fair and realistic in terms of expectations and yet they don’t mind my overachieving mindset. We published two albums in two years with them. Our first album got out three months after I contacted them introducing the band! 

11. If you could make a proper video for any track from Howling Sycamore what track, why and how would you like it to look?

-JM: Finding the right visual artist, to create some clever content is key. And yet, some, might enjoy just a dark lyric video. I have toyed with idea myself.


12. Will Howling Sycamore be touring at all? If so what kind of venues would you like to play and is there a stage show at all?

-DT: We’ll trying to make that happen by the beginning of 2020. I finally found the right live drummer I was looking for and a second guitar player. I can’t wait to bring HS on stage.
The kind of venue I would like to play are ideally medium sized, I’d like for the band to support a bigger one to start to get our name around more.

13. Tying into last questions how do visuals and image play into the over all presentation of a band like Howling Sycamore?

-DT: For what concern live shows, I’d rather be very old school and focus on the music.


14. Lyrics or Music which is written 1st for this band and when in studio do you like more live feeling or layer after layer for productions sake?

-DT: Music come first, lyrics are a direct reaction to the music itself.

-JM: From my end, I receive doses, music and lyrics together. Davide and Karyn Crisis are the masterminds behind the craft of Howling Sycamore. My contributions are melodies and ad libs to the words over sometimes complete sonic mayhem.


15. What your thought as a band on Bandcamp, Twitter, You tube, Digital Media and Podcasts for underground music promotion in 2019?

-JM: It is a brain pain for me personally. Seems to garner not much fellowship like the “old days”. Yet, we are fortunate to have the web as a vehicle for people who need this in their lives, as we do. Promotions, sure, but just getting the music and sound to an audience means the world. I am not much of a social media person. 

Comments