Death from Below round 2 !!!!


Kavara- Weathered & Lost- Digital (Self Released)

Lost of  Death metal coming from the Great white north these days. Kavara is another. We have a very Melodic and Technical Death metal unit going on here with soaring catchy solos and some very Scandinavian Death metal over tones to say the least. I really love this style of Death metal were they add Thrashy and Blackened elements into the complete picture.  Kavara reminds me of the early days of bands like In flames, Soilwork, At the Gates , Gates of Ishtar etc with a modern production and arrangement . On the blackened side you hear earlier Satyricon and Dimmu Borgir . I really am impressed with the mix going on here . This reminds me so music of bands that were on labels liek No Fashon, Invasion, Displeased and Hammerheart back in the late 90's . I'm sure i could go one more and more as there are some power metal and viking elements thrown in for good measure but over all really impressed with this  Canadian Death metal force. check them out at link below..




Pathetic- Rat King- Digital/CD (Self Released)

As I was just saying another  Canadian Death metal vision coming to my review table this time with Pathetic we come from a much darker and uglier place. This is was I call Grinding  Death with Slower Doom and very hardcore elements all into the theme to make it some closer to bands like  Origins, Cattle Decapitation, Terrorizer and Misery Index in the over all tone and creation. They come from that early earache sound if any of you are old enough to remember what I talking about  as punk and crusty hardcore are very much at part of Pathetic's sound and  mission. The are not full on Napalm Death or Brutal truth but just under those ideals. There is a ear pleasing sickness to all that is going on here for sure . I love this very UK style of Death metal though and if you here it you will know what I mean . They are darker slower tones that seep into your very pores and will not leave. The solo's are controlled chaos and its what you want when you hear a band like Pathetic. Ok now its time for you to give them a listen and fall under their spell..




Mist of Misery- Unalterable- CD/ Digital (Black Lion )

Though this is not a death metal record fully.. I really wanted to review after hearing it in this group of albums . This Swedish band creates Symphonic Blackened atmospheres in the most grandious of patterns and gives you that chilling feeling that the end is near and it's ok if you just let go of the pain. At times sometimes we need to hear it like that at other times Mist of Misery are a bombastic Black Death band where you can hear the Black metal cries of thier Scandinavian brother from the past that create this genre for sure. There are moments were you can hear elements of even Bal Sagoth, Deinonychus, Shining (Sweden) and Bethlehem in what they are creating so yes the DSBM and Dark metal layers are there .This as beautiful and sinister and heartbreaking in creation. Looks like these songs were writting and created over 4+ years and you can tell with the level of detial in them. Unalterable goes for 2 + hours and I will say I was 90 minutes into the album before I even knew how long the time was. This sucks you in and will not let you go. The songs at time are mesmerizing and masterpieces in the making. I have not heard something to draw me in like this in a while. Mist of Misery are wizards of the Blackened metal arts and with that I say its your turn to be pulled into the mists...




Totengott- The Abyss- CD/ Digital (Xtreem Music)

Those released a few months back this album richly deserves to be spoken about it's a mix of  Black/Death/Orchestral/ Prog and Post Metal elements that is something that is on a grand scale. There are some amazing Death/Doom metal movements at times here as well. Yes some are going to call it Dark metal and that is very welcome but the heart of the beast know as Totengott has Death metal pulsing through out "The Abyss". I love the occult and pagan feeling that is being presented through out the album. Ritualistic is another word I would use. There are so many crushing Death metal riffs through out that I really want do call this  this Pagan Black/Death album with Orchestral touches. Xtreem has an album that brings together the 90's and 00's of all that was extreme metal and makes it a fond memory of those times in my world. It is really when Black and Doom metal came into my lfe and changed music for me forever.  Totengott  you have added one more Spanish metal band to my listening world as sad to say this is not a massive list but you clearly stand out now .



Comments