Cyclic Law Artist -Visions Interview up



Interview By Frederic Arbour

1. Visions is several albums and collaborations deep in releases now. How do they all tie together and are you happy with response of the project over the years?

Yes, since 2004 there’s been 3 full lengths, a 10” and many compilation tracks and remixes, I feel there’s been an interesting progression in sound up until the recently released “Temples” album, where I’ve now taking a different direction both in sound and concept, from a macrocosmic view to a more microcosmic to sum it up. Response has been quite positive since the projects inception and I’m quite thankful for all the support I get.

2. When listening to Visions I always hear cinematic meets post Industrial . Would you say that this is a good view of that project? What are you trying to achieve?

I certainly pushed for a more cinematic approach and feel on the last album but tend to try to not be to confined by genres. Atmospheric / Cinematic Ambient would define the path I’m on now, music for the minds eye, sonic cinema.

3. Is there a theme behind the new album "Temples "?

Yes, mostly an observation of past civilisations, and investigation on human origins and how vestiges of the past are most often of a spiritual nature, temples is an ode to these.


4.Has Visions ever performed live? if so what is it like vs album? If not would want too and what visuals would you want for it?

Yes I’ve performed live may times since 2004. I now push for an all live performance, meaning no playback and using mostly modular synths. As for visuals I’ve been recently collaborating with long time friend Karl Lemieux, film maker and live projectionist for God Speed You Black Emperor, using 16mm film projections of his in my live sets.

5. Cyclic Law is your label and you own it. How is it different to be artist vs label head. Do you need to separate the two?

I try to separate the two as I’m a musician first and foremost, but am obviously entwined as one in both ventures.


6. If you could or would make a proper video for any Visions track off new album which and how would you want it presented  ?

There’s been one done of the track Temples, again using 16mm film by Karl Lemieux which defines well the album’s theme.

7. Cyclic Law is mostly issuing limited CD and Digital releases. Is there a reason no vinyl were issued, the style and sounds would seem to be a perfect fit?

There’s been quite a few vinyl releases actually, over 10 or so in the past we keep pushing for more depending on the project, so yes vinyl is here to stay along with CDs and Digital.

8. How has the Digital age changed running the label and creating underground music in general?

I think digital opened things up to a wider audience and an easier reach to our artists. Digital is here to stay but I feel physical formats also, so we get the best of all mediums.


9. Do you prefer writing alone or do you ever work with others to write Visions material?

Visions is a very personal and solo adventure, but i do work with others on other projects, as Stärker I work with Martin Dumais of AUN, HAVAN is a project I share with Harlow Macfarlane of FUNERARY CALL and have done a few other collaborative projects in the past. I do find it quite interesting to collaborate as you alway end up with unexpected results.

10. If Visions was offered to record a full length album for a different label then your own would it even be a thought?

Yes definitely, there’s a few labels i’de be honoured to work with, time will tell.

11. Frederic I know you have a doom metal project too. I feel Visions is the sister to that ..it's the dark, hope, terror and beauty in the same way. Do you see both projects pieces of the same puzzle?

Well that Doom Metal band, LONGING FOR DAWN, has been defunct for about 10 years now, but yes there’s definitely links as I was the main composer in the band, it was an extension of my atmospheric interest but in a more metal structure.


12. What music or bands are inspiring you currently?

My tastes are quite varied but these days I tend to listen a lot of Pan Sonic and digging through most of Mika Vainio’s work. Now listening to Vatican Shadow as I type this and always seem to go back to my old black metal favourites from time to time, early Emperor, Satyricon and the likes., my daily intake of music is always quite varied.


13. Is there one band or album that made you say "Damn I wish I thought of that first "?

Thergothon!

14. Thank you for time, any closing thoughts here...

Thank you for your interest Clint and all the best to you.






Comments