The Fires burn with hope in music still at least...


Aara-En Ergô Einai- Digital/LP/CD ( Debemur Morti )

This Swiss Duo comes at Black metal in two very different way the 1st is in a very Orchestral/ Arranged feeling where its is more a Classical composition and is very thought out and constructed. The next is like a steam roller of blackened fury and set on the destruction of all that is before them. Vocally this a viper waiting to strike they are sinister and harsh but work so well with the layers of all that is going on inside the musical idea's.  Aara love to throw in that  Post Black metal meets Black-gaze flavors as well. We have a very massive undertaking that at times seems to pull from Death/Doom for its tone and structure. Aara are very theatrical indeed and it works so well. I know this going to be odd but they have this feeling of creating in the same way bands like Ayreon and Trans Siberian Orchestra do it . So what I'm saying it's closer to something  that Dimmu Borgir and Fleshgod Apocalypse would create and them we go into feeling of bands like  Dawn and Dissection. I really get that Dawn " Slaughter Sun" vibe from this album and I think that is why it is drawing me towards this album. 





Marmalade Knives -Amnesia- Digital/ LP (Electric Valley Records)

WTF have I gotten myself into here? Years ago I would have called this complete hippie, jamband bullshit and told you to find all the records and burn them. Now thanks to labels like Svart , Inside out, Lasers Edge and Ektro records I have found a deeper love and I think its at the heart of it all I really have been getting more into odd Prog and Psych and bands. And this what we have its like mixing Post Rock, Prog and Trippy Space rock into something that is hard rock and metallic but never fully crossing the line . The Groove is strong on this one as well and they all always come back to that  Porcupine Tree, Beastmilk and Subarachnoid space love damn you all. There are some very 60's and 70's off the wall Jamming Prog moments too. I not going to list the bands you know just what I'm talking about. This never goes to the Stoner side for me its too far to the left for that . The guitars and organs really give this an interesting feeling as the good from Hawkwind to Mogwai feels often here. Ok Marmalade Knives you won this round let's see if the next is as lucky for you.



Northern Crown- In a Pallid Shadow- Digital ( Self-Release )

I know I have not done this in a long time but lose the fucking singer and this is a great  Proggy Doom Rock record that reminds me of  Sabbath, Deep Purple, While Heaven wept and even Opeth is way.  The singer sound like a 70's hardrock guy and is just fucking ruining this album for me why would you put this vocal style Clean, Higher and so Power metal??? The music damn it works so well and Northern Crown get deeper more gruff vocalist it can still be clean if that;s your jam but this guy just get under my craw more then anyone has in a long time. This needs a C.O.C, Down or While Heaven wept style vocal. Frank keep playing the guitar that works so well. I got 3 songs in and I just can take the vocals damn. You are not Dio sir if you were this would have worked so well.  The vocals really make it sound so dated the music is so dark and heavy. " The Last Snowfall " has this deep vocal part in middle that works so well needs way way more of that. Ok I'm out on this one 




Bloodhunter (w/ bonus 'Live in Madrid' EP)- Digital/CD ( Self Released)

Damn why have I not heard this  Spanish Death metal force before they have all the elements I love  European melodeath, ass kicking female  guttural vocals and that driving early 00's mid tempo Death metal guitars, bass and wall of drums. So glad this is getting a reissue. This album is infectious and catchy as hell. It even has those sing along death metal moments. I see this was original released  on Suspiria Records but i don't they have anything to do with them for this. I can see why you want the world to hear this steam roller of amazing riffs, vocals and rhythms. Again thank you for give this back to the world we need more kick ass Death metal like this . On to the  live bonus disc its from shows from (2018-2019) lets see what we got?  Ok, this is starting out creepy as all get out and that only shows promise . Shit  DIVA SATANICA is a vocal stand out and really is a perfect fit to this Death email  force. The Live album is just a powerful and impressive as the Debut the fave of the live tracks for me is " Dying Sun" it has this riff that is so driving and Diva's vocals are just over the top strong on this one. I look forward to checking out the second album now and the new upcoming third release. 






Drops Of Heart -Stargazers-Digital ( Self Released)

These Russian Boys on the second record from what I'm reading come to me with a Melodic Black Death record that add some very modern and almost  Sci-fi/ Tech  Death elements going on here. Do you like bands like  Samael , Borknagar, Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, Moonspell, Rotting Christ etc this what I'm getting from them I would even say some Hypocrisy and Solefald in the odd avant metal moments that do come in . There are some strong electronic and harmonic movements throughout this record and Drops of heard are really Goddamn good at what they are creating here. This is an emotional musical roller coaster to say the least. Some tasty as all get out vocal and guitar arrangements and leads. I hate the term Modern metal but this does come into path with that as well. I love the melodic yet very dirty guitar tones with  the lush  strings, synths and the way the vocals are clean and grim. Nice work gentlemen this is an impressive undertaking and will be listening to this over and over in the coming weeks.


 






Comments