Avant meets Extremity The Sarpa Interview is up ...









  1. Let's just start with Texas, a Place where  you can have Pantera, Galactic Cowboys, Absu,  Dangerous Toys, Dead Horse, Scale the Summit and Insect warfare. Why do you think this state has such diverse sounds within one genre and how has it influenced you?


A: Well Texas covers a large area on the map and is geographically diverse. When you think of Florida or Louisiana, for example, a lot of bands from there tend to have a swampish vibe or sound to it. Houston bands kind of give me the same vibe, generally speaking. Bands from El Paso or Dallas live in a different environment, geographically and weather wise, which would absolutely have influence to sounds. I grew up on the east coast, but living here the past decade, I’m definitely influenced by Texas sounds.


  1. I see many say  Sarpa is Black metal but this is so limited I hear  Doom, Prog, Thrash, Industrial and Melodic Death in all of this with a very heathen/pagan overtone? If you were to be asked how would you explain the sound ?


A: I guess if I were to try and short answer that, progressive death/black metal. Not sure if that’s correct, I don’t get too into labeling music. I like to throw in other influences of mine to the pot, such as 70s prog, folk, industrial, psyche rock, and Native music from different cultures. There’s always been an eclectic mix coming out of my speakers at home, so that would explain why there’s different styles going on.


  1. You did this project all on your own I see. How did the recording process go and is it hard to track drums without a rhythm section there for support?


A: I write and record rough tracks of the rhythm guitars first. By then, the drums are already in my mind. After tracking the drums, I record the rhythm guitars for real. Next comes, bass, then guitar leads, then synths/percussions. Vocals are last. Nah, as long as I have the rough guitar tracks and click in my headphones, it’s not hard to track drums. Playing drums in live industrial bands, where you’d have mostly click and electronics in your in-ears helped tremendously with my studio drum sessions.


  1. I love the mix of Melody and  Brutality in vocals and guitars. What are the themes for Solivagus? 


A: Thanks, Solivagus is a journey of the Wanderer who travels across different places/dimensions. The lyrics describe the journey in more of a whimsical phycological sense, though I suppose the listener could interpret in a physical sense as well. For example, ‘Anguishing Reveries’ the Wanderer plunges into Leviathan’s bottomless seas where only the Reaper can aid him. A common theme throughout his journeys is the Wanderer overcoming and melting illusions that lay before him. Illusions that our current world offers and so many fall for.


  1. The artwork is very interupatational. How does it tie in to the overall story of the album?


A: The front cover is an illustration by Frederick S. Coburn. It was originally used for an Edgar Allan Poe compilation book, published in the early 1900’s. It captures some of the phycological torment the Wanderer experiences throughout his journey.


  1. Why go DIY with  Solivagus??  Do you feel  good PR, Digital metal and word of mouth is all you need in 2020?


A: There are many different right routes in 2020. You know, I tried pitching to some labels who I really liked about releasing the album, but for whatever reason, it didn’t seem to garner much interest. Perhaps because you can’t pigeonhole Sarpa into one specific style like many bands coming out these days. After some time I said screw it, I’m gonna self release this album. Sarpa must move forward.


  1. David, You were in both  Plutonian Shore and Skrew two very different sides of the metal world  Black and more Industrial. How did these bands help you bring Sarpa to life?


A: I wouldn’t say they helped bring Sarpa to life. I’m sure all of my previous bands, Plutonian Shore, Å kan, Skrew, Cult of Discordia, and others had their part in shaping me into the musician I am today.




  1. What bands are impressing you as of last any things that might shock us?


A: I haven’t been really keeping up with that many new bands lately. I really like what Oranssi Pazuzu is doing and the direction they’re heading. A friend showed me Venomous Skeleton, a band out of Italy the other day, which I bought immediately. I recently heard a demo by Finnish band Somme, which impressed me. There are many great bands here in Central Texas as well. Ungrieved, a band here in Austin just released a 7” which I’m expecting in the mail anytime!


  1. If you could make a proper video for any track on Solivagus which would it be and how would you like it too look?


A: I’ve only had minimal thoughts about a music video, perhaps ‘Predacious Dimensions’. I like kind of lo-fi visuals of a bizarre nature. Think of the movie ‘Begotten’. But I don’t know, when that time comes, maybe I’ll have a completely different vision for a video.


  1. Are you interested in having Sarpa A live touring  project or is this more a personal one man journey?


A: You never know, it could be a live entity someday. For now, at this stage of my life, it remains just on tape. Which is convenient, because I’m focusing on things other than music right now as well.


  1. How has Social media changed the underground in the last two decades or so? As you for what you have seen, it helps or clutters the underground with too much music?


A: Yes and yes, it helps and clutters. It’s a double edge sword. It’s now easier to get exposure which is fantastic, but that also means there are tons of bands who all sound the same and it’s impossible to keep up with everything. I remember the days of my friends and I pooling our money together and going through an underground catalog, picking the tapes/cds we wanted. Then mail ordering it and having to wait weeks and weeks to get it. The feeling of finally getting the album, opening and playing it for the first time, I miss it. I still do that sometimes, minus the mail ordering part, lol. Even better, when you found an underground album you’d never expect to see at a record store.


At the same time, I love how easy it is to discover a new band by just clicking on a youtube suggestion, boom, you’re instantly into a new band within seconds. Bands seemed more mysterious pre social media which built up the hype to seeing them live for the first time, or just buying their album strictly off of reputation. At the same time, I like how I can send off material with a single click, rather than deal with the hassle of snail mail.


  1. I know you said Sarpa is going to continue and be on going where do you see it stylistically heading for the next journey?


A: Not sure yet. I have some primitive ideas brewing for the next release, which I’m thinking will be an EP. We’ll see when we get further down the rabbit hole..


  1. David, Do you enjoy the freedoms of the project being all yours or do you see yourself collabing with others in future?


A: For this album yes. I plan on collaborating a bit on future releases. Perhaps a guest lead guitarist or percussionist here and there. Some female vocals on a part or two could be interesting too. I already have a couple people in mind.


  1. Thank you for the time and any closing thoughts here.


A: Thank you for the interview. Everyday, focus on things you’d be happy to talk about on your deathbed. Also, what can you hold in your left hand, but not in your right hand?






Comments