And the Machine rolls on music is forever.....


Xoth- Interdimensional Invocations - Digital/CD ( Self-Released)

So the land of  Grunge, Post Black metal and Folk movements ... Seattle brings us a very twisted, complex and wonderful self released Metal Extravaganza by the name of Xoth. What you get Its Sci fi based Black, Viking, Death , Thrash, Prog Metal. As we go through the tracks I hear elements of  Meads Of Asphodel, Cradle of Filth, Dawn, Immortal, Anthrax, Vortex, And Oceans and  Bal Sagoth. So yes just fucked up beyond belief and getting more impressive with each and every other listen. This is no way this band is not signed to a larger label other then not accepting or choosing to do so. The full production, Thought provoking arrangements and just down right talent on Interdimensional Invocations is right up there with the best of the best. The odd melodies that come through as almost 80's Hard rock are really impressive . There are some solos that are just so down right catchy it blows me away. Xoth I'm truly glad you are in my musical arsenal now and it's here to stay..




Golgotha - Erasing the Past- Digital/LP/CD ( Xtreem Music )

These Spaniards create some Epic Goth Doom in the way that it made me love back in the late 90's early 00's I really can hear influences of  bands like  Paradise Lost, Moonspell, Tehni, A Vision Bleak, Tristania and Saturnus. Golgotha has those Deep clean vocals mixed with guttural elements, Epic Synth and strings and massive percussionive movements. Vocals that are straight out of the best parts of all things Moonspell has ever created. There is a very Silent Engima Anathema feel then out of no where those Tiamat and Sentenced dark melodies come to the forefront. Really digging what Golgotha is presenting on " Erase the Past" and if you like your Doom melodic and full of Symphonic goth flavors then you can not miss this album.



Runespell- Voice of Opprobrium -Digital/LP/CD  (Iron Bonehead) 

I'm reading this is Runespell's third release and this Australian one man force from the intro track are reminding me of Black, Viking ,Folk Metal so yes that  Bathory, Graveland, Nokturnal Mortum,  FalkenBach, Manegarm, Suidakra elements are  all here and in full force. There are some very raw polish and Norse black metal going on through out as well. This is cold dark winter metal and Runespell does one hell of a job to get the sound and atmospheres just right on "Voice of Opprobrium".  The fires burn with the pagan/ heathen bloodlines on this abum without fail. Nightwolf  who ever you maybe this is more then an impressive album to say the least. Again it is always good to have these kinds of bands in the mix that show the old world sounds mixed with the grim extreme metal ideals of that current age. I look forward going back and checking out your two past releases.



Orodruin- Ruins of Eternity- Digital /LP/CD (Cruz Del Sur )

So Rochester NY brings us the next chapter to Orodruin 16 yrs later. This is what I would call RetroDoom meets Heavy Blues Rock. The vocals are the something thaat is drawing me in . They has so powerful, clean and commanding with a harmony that is just stellar. On the musical front they are hit or miss for me at times they hit that  Sabbath meets Deep Purple vibe too much. I like it when they go more into the  Kings X, Dio ,Trouble and Diamond Head side of that 70's and 80's movement. I've never been the biggest  Traditional Doom rock fan but on  " Ruins of Eternity " there are some really special and epic /powerful sounds being presented. It Reminds me  of Slough Feg in a lot of ways and I think this is what is drawing me in. Well whatever it is I like this and that a huge leap for me in a genre I have panned for over three decades .



Mourn The Light/ Oxblood Forge-  Split Digital/CD (Self Released)

Well a Split release from Two New England  Metal outfits. With Mourn the Light from CT we have a Traditional Doom unit that even do a Candlemass cover. I just don't know how I feel about this band it sounds like  ST Vitus meets Prog Metal  the melodic overtones are strong in this band. I really do think they have beautiful moments. The Originals just feel like I've heard it before not in a band way I just think Mourn the Light could step it up and be very impressive.Oxblood Forge is Retro/Trad/Power Metal with Doom elements out of Boston MA but were they differ with Mourn the light is there is a fire and passion to what is going on here  . Oxblood Forge sound like  Sanctuary, Iron Maiden, Electric Wizard and Warhorse all mixed into one and with that these two tracks are the reason I would be coming back to listen to this six song split .







Múspellzheimr- Raukn- Digital/LP/CD (  Amor Fati Productions )

This time out of Denmark and a third release for a project as well. With  Muspellzheimr we have blistering over the top  Post Black meets Occult Raw Black metal . A war on humanity and all things around it is clearly going on with an album like this . Raukn is not an album for the weak of mind , heart or aural combat. There are these moments too that go low fi and spacial that really draw me into  Muspellzheimr for sure. The wall of  Reverbed Static/Noise Black metal needs to be done very impressively these days to get that attention from me in 2019 . I can clearly hear and see that this is from the  Watain, Marduk, Old Behemoth, Bestial Warlust school of  Black/Death /Occult/ Noise. Raukn is challenging enough to want me to go through several listens and I grow with this I will see if the next chapter is something I want to take on.



Herrschaft - Le Festin du Lion- Digital/CD ( Les Noires Productions )

Well Hell ya folks something to make me want to stand up and listen again. This is Electro Black /Death/Punk with some straight up Powernoise going on here .  Herrschaft is out of Paris and this seems like a good home for the clash of  cultures, sounds and ideas going on here.  Do you like bands like The Kovenant, Oomph!, Kontrust, Manes, Rammstein, Red Harvest, Shining (NO), Aborym and The Amenta to name a few . Love the mix of catchy heavy beats, throaty and gruff vocals . metallic guitars and danceable but heavy bass line.  I know many of you will shy away from the electronic elements but with herrschaft they kick some major ass in the vocal and riff department as well. I like this  apocalyptic meets industrial metal element.  There are moments where this has full on Fear Factory and Prong Industrial metal vibes. Ok maybe I'm liking this way to much. No way folks Herrschaft is the real deal nice works now I have 4 albums to catch up on.




Comments