Holy Moses Interview 9/5/2008
1. Being in North America we've not so familiar with Holy Moses a band with a long history in
Sabina: oh, yes it’s a really long story. We were founded in 1980 and I came into the band in 1981. I’ll try to make it short as possible to make a overview about the last 27 years with Holy Moses. Since the formation of the band in the early eighties, we have not only released many convincing albums, but have always been able to prove our commitment on the stage. Touring alongside formations such as Rage, Angel Dust, Steeler, D.R.I., Holy Terror, Sacred Reich or Forbidden, Holy Moses have shaken the walls of many important clubs and venues. In 1989 the band was one of the most important acts at the legendary Dynamo Open Air festival and also a few years later a part of the massive open air festival in
2. You Just started working with new label Wacken Records who is partnered with SPV how does that feel to have a massive promotional machine behind you now.
Sabina: hahaha, yes you are right, we are now signed with the great new Wacken Records label and SPV and we really hope we will get this time a massive promotional machine. But also our huge fanclub network is helping us a lot right now. They were founded two years ago and working great for us and we will do our best as the band.
3. I would call your music Thrash metal with a lot of Melodic Death metal feelings. This being your 12th record and me be very new to your music how do the older titles match up to Agony of Death in Sound and Style.
Sabina: When we started up we created our own style and we didn’t know about genres like Thrash or Death. We played our stuff like we wanted to sound. Later on in the mid 80’s, the people called it typical german thrash sound, but also, the people mentioned it with a kind of “death metal vocals” They compared my voice also with Chuck Schuldiner of Death and called me the female Chuck. So always Holy Moses was a kind of mix between both genres, mostly because of my vocal style what is really between thrash and death. I never thought so much about it, it’s my voice still I started up with it in 1981. Agony Of Death now, I think it’s pure Holy Moses style and shows all the sites of Holy Moses in one album. I think this is the reason why the people love the new album so much. It’s really what Holy Moses means and really the first time, we were able to put all our energy, power and aggression so much on point.
4. You know it has to be spoke of even after Ten years. Sabina can sing, growl and scream with the best of them do you feel having a female front person has help or hurt over the years???
Sabina: this is really hard to say by myself, because I am doing it now in this band for 27 years, and I am wondering about that still. I think like always in bands, mostly you find discussions about the vocalists – and I think it should be more about the style and not about male or female. I know, I was the one who started up the female growling scene and it’s great to know it– but I think maybe – it was sometimes because of that, harder for the band. But to be honest with you, we as the band, don’t think so much about that. But maybe it was the reason, why we are still underground……..
5. Will Holy Moses be making any tour stops in the
Sabina: yes, I am very happy to say this, we got an offer from Exodus to tour with them in the
6. Being German and I would say your equal in skill, songwriting skill and just damn great songs like Destruction, Kreator, Warlock, Sodom & Rage. Do you feel that Germany over the years have just gotten the Ideal of Thrash down or is it more of just a Germans love of metal music?
Sabina: wauh, this is a great and difficult question. I think – metal is a kind of religion and the love for metal is maybe the reason, to create the songwriting skill. And I am very happy, that we all, also my friends like you mentioned in your questions of Destruction, Kreator, Doro,
7. To the question above what to you think of those bands and have you gotten any time to find out how they like about Holy Moses.
Sabina: They are all good friends of mine since a lot of years. Yes, they all like Holy Moses very much. Schmier of Destruction was singing on the album one track with me, on “In the Cave”, and last Sunday I was in the studio, singing a song for the new doro pesch single. With tom angelripper of
8. You Holy Moses thoughts on the digital music age with Myspace, Mp3's , sat radio and the internet in general are you for the new media or do you miss tape trading , vinyl and going to do radio interviews.
Sabina: I am myself a total computer maniac and I can’t live without my MacBook, Iphone and Ipod. I am in contact with such a lot of friends via myspace, email – but on the other side, I am coming from the 80’s, and I am missing the black/white fanzines, working with fax machines and even with letters, and also missing tape trading and vinyl. Everything goes so fast right now, and you have no time to think…but we have to look forward….this is life right now but I am very happy, that I am born in a time, to live with the evolution. I can see both sites – but – with the new album I did one thing - we will release the new album – back to the roots also as a double vinyl special edition……
9. Agony of Death is such a power record and just kicked my ass when I heard it . This there a running theme or is it just a collection of mind-blowing aggressive thrash soon to be classics.
Sabina: Agony Of Death, is the medical term for the death struggle and common denominator of the recording’s lyrics. “Amazingly, our band has been around for more than twenty years, which means that Holy Moses has been doomed for over two decades, but we’ve persevered. Life is a fight against death from the first moment. Some people are subjected to violence and abuse even in their childhood and experience this fight from an early age, while for others it may start later, but is no less traumatic. These considerations are reflected in the lyrics on Agony Of Death. Be it in terms of ambivalent suicidal reflections (‘World In Darkness’), disturbances of memory and blackouts (‘The Cave’), or amnesia (‘Dissociative Disorder’). Musically, Agony Of Death features a red-hot thrash metal, in a trademark of typical Holy Moses aggression, expression, power, technique, shouts, and even occasional melody. And I hope these new songs will soon be classics…but these are your words J
10. I know members are in other projects if you would tell us how they differ to Holy Moses I would thank you greatly.
Sabina: Michael and me, we have no other projects in bands, Atomic Steiff our drummer has a hobby band next to Holy Moses called Strahltraeger, but they are without a record deal, only for fun. Olly is playing also guitar in Reckless Tide. They are right now also without a record deal, but having fun together. And Thomas our bass player is playing in a thrash band called Desilence from
11. Does Holy Moses like to play Big fests or the smaller venues as a support or headliner?
Sabina: I prefer playing in smaller venues, to have more contact to the fans, I can act a lot better than on bigger stages with no contact to the fans. I don’t care about support or headlining, I like more supporting because as headliners sometimes you are playing totally in the night and all people are drunk, hahahahaha. But I also enjoy playing festivals like Wacken Open Air, because you have the chance to present your music to a lot of young fans which don’t know about Holy Moses and it’s a great chance to expose more people to our sound. But all in all, I feel better myself in venues between 500 and 1000 people and having a great party with them and everybody is going crazy.
12. Are there any bands that are lesser known or need to be spotlighted to the American crowd you would like to tell us about. I like to give bands to talk about friends music that the world should know about as well
Sabina: yeah for example the great thrash band mortal sin from
13. At this point in your career can Holy Moses support you all without other employment or after 25 yrs its still mission of love with day jobs?
Sabina: no, I am not missing a day job, I love traveling around and meeting people all over the world. I could not love a regular job from 9 to 5. I think I would go crazy after a time. Maybe in the first moment it sounds great to know when you have holiday and knowing at 5 you can start your hobby, but we made or hobby to our life and that is a wonderful feeling.
14. Your website is very impressive tell us a bit about holymoses.de . You have a myspace page as well I see.
Sabina: yes, the Myspace Site is done by our wonderful fanclub head fede in
15. thank you for the time any closing thought's please place here.
Sabina: thanks for the wonderful interview and I hope we will be in the US touring. Thanks so much for all your support and waiting such a long time for us in the