Deathgasm Artist Avenger Interview is up...







  1. 1.For those of us new to the Czech Dark/Death Metal sounds of Avenger tell us a bit about the band. I know you have been around for over 2 decades..


    We are old fashioned dark metal band from Czech Republic (central Europe), this year we are celebrating our 20th anniversary. 5 official albums out, close to 300 shows played. We have never interrupted our existence and we are going to spread violent noises for some more time on ! Chaos forever !


    2.Avenger has been working with Deathgasm for few releases now. How did it come about and are you happy with all they have done for the band?


    I have never experienced Evan of Deathgasm trying to fuck me up or dictate me anything. Even more, I have always experienced total support and comprehension.... and believe me Avenger is not easy band to handle (mostly delaying everything etc. :-)). Plus the conditions are still bettering. Despite still harder conditions within the scene globally, we are more and more happy being under Deathgasm records. Definitely no reason or intension to leave at our side.


    3. From listening to Bohemian Dark Metal I hear a strong mix of bands like  Burzum, Marduk, Hypocrisy, Borknagar and Deinonychus. How did you mix the epic, power metal and prog with the black and death metal moments?

    Its a lot of stuff involved. First, of course, I love any metal that is good since my age of 8 or 10 so I think I have heard several thousands albums in my life. Each one is burned deep into my brain. And all of these albums together have created my basic (and I think permanent) direction I wanna follow with my own material. Also the older I grow I find myself enjoying still more of non-metal music too. I can now describe my taste like picking here and there from literally all kinds of music. A few recent years I have been coming to a recognition that the element that connects all the music I like is the dark feeling. I mean really obscure, sad, depressed, melancholic or even annoying or unpleasant stuff. Dont ask me why, despite my life is not easy Im quite cheerful guy and I dont understant this myself. But this was the main thing I focused on, I decided to create the most dark album I ever could, as this would express my own identity at most. Youre now facing the result.

    4. Does Avenger prefer to perform live or is it more interesting to be in the studio?

    Both is cool. Im actually owner of HELLSOUND studio, so if I balance it with the fact Im most of time busy with the work for my customers, Im priviledged to record whenever and whatever I want in the free spots which is fucking great. I love this work. Being on stage is, though, fucking glorious as well ! Its quite different energy circulating, not creating anything new but rather entertaining people. I couldnt miss any of the things connected to the band.

    5. Will be see any videos off of the Bohemian Dark Metal album?

    Maybe... who knows. No concrete plans at the moment.

    6.  Is there a running theme on Bohemian Dark Metal? or just a collection on extreme metal hymns?

    Yes. The album is very personal it has in fact many autobiographical features. Its all just about what life brought. Im 32 now and its no secret that I have never had enough luck to experience how does it feel to be really loved by a woman (now not speaking of the physical experiences but speaking of the deepest emotional connection). My personality is too harsh and weird and no girl I ever loved was enough comprehensive or brave to accept that. My music and words is a channel of saying out the most internal pains, wishes, worries, complaints, thoughts.... well... whatever... I just let it flow. Even at a cost that the things that come to light are weird, maybe pathetic, or funny for someone uninvolved.... but I dont fucking care, its a cure for me. At the same time it would be also good to say that the lyrics arent entirely serious at all. Its a game for me as well, I use a lot of fantasy and imagination. Also I am always aware I wanna create METAL, so no sweet shits. I always keep it brutal ! You probably need to check the lyrics to understand what I try to explain here.

    7.  Is it hard to project your music in a live setting or do you use triggers and samples to make the live show sound so massive?

    We are still more and more exploring the possibilities of using intro playbacks, triggering kick drum or tympans etc. At the same time we always keep in mind that the authentic sonic brutality is the main goal. No fakes or tricks at all.

    8.  If someone was to ask Avenger what they sounded like . How would you tell someone that has never heard your music before?

    Dark metal music. Sorry for short answer but this simply says it all.

    9.  The Metal scene in CZ is something of legends with bands like Root, Silent Stream Of Godless Elegy and Cales etc does being from Eastern Europe gave metal bands a special sound?

    I dont think its about being „from east“ (Czech Republic is geographically more middle Europe by the way) but rather about lack of „western“ know-how and creating own instead. Plus a few masterminds as Petr Blackie Hosek, Frantisek Storm, Petr Stanek, Radek Hajda, the people behind these bands who are simply genial and comparable to ANY metal heroes worldwide.

    10.   The Production on Bohemian Dark Metal is so big and full you are so much more then a death or black metal band how did you get the sound in the studio (its not over  effected but done to a level that is almost hypnotic).

    I did what I could. I was working on this recording for 2 years, collecting all my experiences as a musician and sound engineer. Thanks for nice words man, its cool to hear it probably works, after all :-)

    11.  What the bands thoughts on 21st Century underground music scene is it a new rebirth with digital audio, webzine and social networking or is it so much harder to stand out?

    We accept only as much of it as the circumstances force us. We are old dogs and, honestly, we´re quite unorientated in these times. Yes its probably harder to stand out, you may be right. So Im just glad that we have grown up enough to know that this is not the goal at all. The music is not race and for me it would be really equal if 100 or 1000000 people would know us. This or that, it would be both just side effect of the fact that I love doing music. As long as we have at least some number of old good loyal fans who buy all our stuff (so that it makes sense to press it) we´re fine. We will never be famous thats sure :-)).

    12.  You seem to not have official website just facebook and social media do you feel this is more then enough to get the word out?

    You hit a painful theme. We will make it better soon. As I answered before we are „old school“ assholes who always prefer communication face to face. But the internet age is merciless.

    13.  Will Avenger be coming to the US to perform at all being on a US label Deathgasm?

    Not question for me. We feel no need to push it hardly anywhere. There are too many young bands that would always smash us down with their neverending entusiasm haha. So we better give up any our own efforts. But anyone interested in inviting us is kindly asked to contact us. We are always seriously interested in playing live shows.

        14.  Thank you for the time any closing thoughts here..

    CHAOS FOREVER !!! Thank you for this interview !

Comments