New Reviews Feb 19th 2012 @ AZM


Towards Darkness- Barren- CD (Avantgarde Music)

So where to begin with this is to remind you of time when Peaceville and Avantgarde were kings of the Doom/Death world as it looks like Avantgarde are back at this . Towards Darkness is a mix of Anathema, Morgion, Unholy and Deinonychus all mixed in a shroud of post metal elements and having the mellow slow creepy edge bands like  Monumentum and Shining (Sweden) have. This is Doom like I want it to be and how it needs to be . Towards Darkness builds into it every so slowly and when it get to the point you think you can bare no more its makes you want it all the more. You can feel every bleeding moment in a band like this and the organs just make it all the more power. Towards Darkness are madness only few will ever understand and respect. Take the time to listen and your rewards will be great with " Barren"..

http://avantgardemusic.com/


Les Discrets- Ariettes Oubliees- CD (Prophecy Productions)

Prophecy is one of those labels that have a feeling or sound where they like to mix a level of Post Rock, Gothic Elegance with Shoegazing Black metal and Experimental Metal. This band is no difference. There is a regal feeling to all that going on here. Les Discrets has most in common with bands like Alcest or Dornenreich on there label with moments of Antimatter. But you get where I'm going with this. When I listen to this I feel like I'm in an 19th Century thriller Jack the ripper as it gives you this old world vibe. Love the hypnotic way the vocals and guitars come through as well. Yes its all clean sung and it works so well for what is going on. Les Discrets comes from the Black metal world you can hear it in the way the arrangements are presented but they always have a that strong Shoegazing effect on there music. Prophecy Productions is Thinking mans metal and if you like what you hear with this the label has many bands that will make you spend more of your hard earned money as well.




Ribozyme- Presenting the Problem-CD (Indie Recordings)

There have been many mashing of sounds and styles over the yrs that have both worked an failed but with Ribozyme this one seems to work very well. I hear the Heavy Alt Rock sound of bands like Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and Tool then mixed with the Post Industrial sounds of bands like NIN, Jesu, Ministry and God lives underwater. The Heavy electronic works so well with thins Industrial Rock is something that really can be very cookie cutter but Ribozyme know how to keep it driving and interesting to say the least. I could hear this on heavy rock stations all over North America.  With " Presenting the Problem" we have some prog rock moment or at least complex rock elements going on that is not your just 4 cords and screamo vocals. Its impressive to say the least how it goes from mellow to power driven all in the same song.  Check them out you will not be disappointed.



Germ - Wish- CD (Eisenwald)

Electro Black Goth is what I'm getting from this I don't know if I like or hate this. The clean vocals are so out of key I think that is what is making me turn away from this. If Skinny puppy or Laibach were a black metal band this is what it would sound like.  I like the music going on its like Electro Black metal as I said the choir vocals in the back are amazing as well. Then there are times I swear this is the missing Vast album I've been waiting for  and the vocals and music are brilliant combine. The blackened screams seem a bit out of place. I just wish the music wasn't so similar on many of the tracks.  Germ is warming up on me but still not something I would listen to a lot .  Maybe as I give it more time that will change. Took me years to love Cop Shoot Cop and Swans but when it happened it became diehard with them. 



Comments