Cyclic Law Artist Triangular Ascension Interview is up











1. Tell us about how Triangular Ascension came to be there is a very dark feeling coming from this project.


Triangular Ascension was the evolution of an old project of mine called Intimus Universum, which was more noise orientated. When it became Triangular Ascension, it sort of transformed from being a deafening illness to a soothing medicine for the soul. That's what I like to believe at least.


2. When I listen to your latest release on Cyclic law " The Chronos Anomaly" I hear elements of  Dark Ambience, Ritualistic Industrial and Martial music the 3 main projects I hear are Puissance, Sephiroth and Schloss Tegal in the way its created. Do these bands play any role in your music?


You nailed it on Sephiroth. I like Puissance too but I don't think it was a direct influence. I'd say I'm more into acts like Letum or Raison D'Etre. Listening to a lot of Movie soundtracks also helps. As for the Martial elements, I don't recall having any in the album, at least not intentionally, but Triarii, Arditi and Karjalan Sissit are among my favorites.


3. There is a very Dark Occult almost Spacial element going on how was the sounds of The Chronos Anomaly created?


It was created half digitally and half with random stuff I had around. Since I was a kid, I loved to sample stuff in cassettes with an old recorder I had. I decided to do this again and recorded sounds from several sources, you name it: keychains, scissors, mobile phones, toys or my backyard at night. After a bit of processing they did the job, paired with some synthesis and drones very rich in subs.


4. From doing some reading on you . Your much more well known for Drum and Bass and Electronic music . How did you come to working in much more extreme and dark industrial sounds?


I remember working on ambient and noise projects even before I decided to work with dance music. So in fact, Drum & Bass was the "new" thing for me. Zardonic just happened to blow up, but I like it that way. Triangular Ascension is a bit more personal, pure. It knows no limits.


5. You have worked with Major Industrial and Black metal artists have these very different styles you have remixed or worked with given you a pathway to this sound?


Perhaps. Like I said, I worked with ambient projects way before I decided to do Drum & Bass. And in the middle of that, I used to compose black metal. Still do, for fun. Have released a couple things on the net but nothing serious. So before dance music came to my life, I was already well illustrated about the scene. My favorite acts back in the day were Emperor, old Dimmu Borgir, Carpe Tenebrum, Satyricon, Nile, Behemoth and the likes.
.
6. How did you come to work with Cyclic law a smaller label on the scope you work with . They seem to be one of the premiere Dark Industrial of the day taking the spot of labels like Dark Vinyl, Cold Meat and Tesco in 2013.


Since Triangular Ascension was something more personal, not something I wanted to market out that much, I decided to send demos to every single label I knew out there. Cyclic Law was the top offer so I went with it. And so far they've treated me very well. I'm proud to be part of their release roster and I believe it will stay that way.


7. Will Triangular Ascension be performing live or is it just a studio creation?


Unless the live performance equals something like the Cirque Du Soleil, I doubt it. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit there, but I'm so tired of seeing a lot of dark ambient performances and they're plain and boring. Just one dude playing with stuff around the computer with an angry face, or just one guy with a snare drum and a shy face. What the hell is that? Something as epic deserves an army of actors and an orchestra, or abstract visuals. I think Sophia are the only act I've seen with a decent live act, but in my opinion most ambient acts are lacking a lot of imagination (or maybe money) to do this. So who knows, perhaps I'll make enough money with my Drum & Bass act to do what I want live with Triangular Ascension. Meanwhile, it stays in the studio.


8. Will we be seeing any videos off the current album? the music seems very musically and soundscape fitting for video tracks.


I haven't thought about it. But could be. That's a great idea.


9. With this being your 2nd full release on Cyclic law do you feel the label is getting your name out there the way you wish? Where do you see the project moving in future releases?


So far I like what they're doing. It stays underground and reaches only the finest ears. But life will tell. Maybe it will open ways for something more mainstream. Maybe it will stay that way. As long as I'm free to do whatever I want with the project, I'm happy with whatever releases it gets. It's not about the outcome. Like I've mentioned earlier, it's a very personal thing.


10. Is there a theme or story line for Triangular Ascension albums our more just a martial cinematic collection of songs?


A bit of both. Both albums I've released have a concept behind it but some tracks maybe didn't match the "storyline" so to say. However, I thought they were a great result and didn't want them out of the album either. "The Chronos Anomaly" is the death of our illusion of time. We as humans dwell too much in the past and worry too much about the future. Time becomes a burden. But look at what animals do. They live every day doing what they do and they don't care too much about what's to come or what has happened. They simply are. We all want to get rid of our past, but yet the ghosts are always lurking. One we realize it's all in our minds, it becomes more bearable.


11. Out of all of the styles and genres you work in is there one that you have not worked in and want too?


Maybe jazz. But I don't know how to compose it.


12. What is the experimental music scene like in Venezuela its not a place you see many bands exported from. This there many bands or indie labels and clubs supporting extreme dark music?


Not really. I know of a couple "acts" but trust me it'll be a waste of your time. Latin America doesn't have one single good ambient act. It's all in Europe. I'm the weird guy here hahah. I do play a lot of "extreme" stuff in my Zardonic sets, but I don't see Triangular Ascension in any club here. It's just not the right place.


13. Are you a fan of the digital modern underground or does it water the scene down far to much anyone in a bedroom with a computer , synth and mics can make demos and get them up on soundcloud, revernation or facebook etc?


I don't see a problem with it. I for one am part of it. It's not always the tool, but the user. If internet freedom has given the chance to people to show what they do, let them do it. Only the good stuff gets attention anyways, everything else doesn't, but I don't see it affecting our scene. Quality control is there whether everyone wants to mash some samples and call it "art". If you're good, people will follow. If not, they won't. Simple as.


14. What are you listening to as of late . This normally tell my readers a lot on what the underground is really listening to. We like to know as this is not about trends.


My MP3 player is packed with a lot of random stuff. "Koloss" by Meshuggah has me grabbed by the balls. Arvo Pärt is one of my favorite composers of all time, and it's natural I guess. You could call it the grandfather of modern ambient music (not to mention most acts including myself have sampled the shit out of his works). Also artists like God Is An Astronaut, Octopus Nebula, Xavier Rudd which is a bit hippie but his stuff cheers me up a lot, and I don't like being in dark places all the time. Life's too short to be angry or sad your entire life. I love what Animals As Leaders have been doing recently too. Devin Townsend, Ihsahn, some electro acts like Project SAM, Hypomaniacs, Hijack Da Bass. Drum & Bass acts like Black Sun Empire or Noisia or even commercial artists like deadmau5. My taste is very varied.


15. You seem to let social media and labels take care of your internet needs do you feel a proper website is not needed for music in 2013?


I think a website is necessary. I just haven't found the time to build mine. But it's there, under construction: http://www.zardonic.net


This website will also include Triangular Ascension music.


16. Thanks for the time any closing thoughts place here.


Freedom without laws makes us prisoners of chaos.

Comments