3 New Reviews @ Absolute Zero Media 12/27/2009


Life's Decay-Dysrieuses-CD (Abstraktsens Produktions)

Neoclassic music has always been near and dear to my heart esp if it has a folk or Martial element because of my yrs in As All Die. With Dysrieuses there seems to be a much more pop and caberet element as least on the start of the release. Love the sultry female vocals as well. They have a lot in common this time with bands like Novy Svet and Spiritual Front . There is a major change for Life's Decay in sound there is also an elements of Dead can dance and Third and the mortal which I love very much here. Dysrieuses is a beautiful and delicate release well into the 4th track . Life Decay is also very much getting in Post Industrial sounds here again as in the last few releases. I could see them working with labels like 4AD or Mute now . I'm really floored by the song arrangements and soundscape's that Life's Decay has presented to us. I know the French will limit the potential of this outside of Europe and that is very sad. I would love to see a DVD by this project as the music is very visual. I'm going to end the review like this Etasthesie is by far the best record of there career and they have found there original sound here and I hope the grow by leaps and bounds from here. This release is Brilliant......





The Kandidate- Until We Are Outnumbered-CD (Napalm Records)

If Dismember and Hypocrisy could have had a metallic child of doom then this is who it would be. They have such a heavy groove here that it makes me want to slam into the walls and bleed hard about 5 yrs after I've really been into a pit. The Kandidate have a very strong thrash element going on too in the way that bands like Testament and Exodus did it with style in the 80/90's . The Guitars are huge here just know they have what sounds like a wall of guitars kicking you in the face. The heavy and punishing bass and drums have that very Dismember feeling to my ears. The vocals go from a Thrashing grimmace to Sung Classic metal style to guttural growls. There is a strong complexity to them almost like Frolic in the Park/ Act III Death Angel to me as well. I wish Napalm would have sent me non voice overs for years but they just refused to do so. I'm so happy to have them back in my reviewing roster...





TROLL- Neo Satanic Supremacy-CD (Napalm Records)

So Lex Icon aka Nagash from is Dimmu Borgir Bass playing days is back with a Symphonic Black Metal force that reminds me very much of the Stormblast days of Dimmu Borgir and you know what that is what I think the world needs a fast, pissed off Symphonic Black metal band again. I really thought Nagash had ended his metallic realm with some very electronic releases of the last 4-5 yrs with The Kovenant. This reminds me very much of a mix of DHG and and Mid Period Dimmu . There are even moments they have a layer that reminds me very much of Emperor. Troll is a band that can take back a scene that has been watered down and over synthed out by bands that should have never entered the arena to start with. Troll have a strong neoclassic element going on as well with the ripping guitars and bass lines, The full on Black metal vocals of those that are damned. The Drumming is never over done its always at the time and style that the song asks for. Black metal drums can be so over played and that can ruin a release. Troll is Grim , Melodic and Hateful all in the same track. This is a must listen for any fan of the 90's Symphonic BM style.



Comments