Mark Deutrom (Ex Melvins/ Clown Alley) Interview is up







1. As we know you perform and record with Clown Alley and The Melvins. How did the solo career come to be and it has a very Melvins vibe to me esp this new releases " The Value of Decay"


I've always been writing, whether I was in a band or not. After a while a lot of material builds up
that might not be suitable for whatever band I might be in at the time. Doing solo projects gives that material a platform. 


As far as there being a Melvins vibe to my solo stuff, it's not anything conscious, but I did 
work with the band over fairly long period of time. They covered a Clown Alley song at one point
so there's been some cross pollination for sure.




2. Your working with Southern Lord on Value album but only digitally why not have a proper release as well?


It's no surprise to me that people still want conventional releases, despite the industry push to get everything on a server. This release was the only thing I have ever done that was completely digital, and I liked the idea that it would never exist in reality. It gave the title an extra layer of irony, since something has to exist to be able to decay. 
So there was a conceptual aspect to it, as well as no money to manufacture it. It all worked out very
conveniently until a boutique label from Austria called Rock is Hell offered to do vinyl of it. Now it
has been dragged into reality, so there can actually be some Value in it's Decay. It is actually nice to
see it in reality.


3. You have worked and performed with SunnO))) as well how was that they seem to be a force to reckon with.


If Sunn had to be defined in a scientific sense, I would say they are one of the finest examples
of Newtonian principles out there. They're really loud also. They need to let me produce a record for them. I think we could make a killer record. A record of 4 minute songs just like a Humble Pie record
or something ! Playing with them was really cool and a great time. Provide bottom end for the heaviest band in the world ? I can cross that one off the list.


4. Do you prefer to make music or record and produce music more. Or is is just two sides of the whole?


I really enjoy doing both. It's very satisfying to hear the potential in a band and realize that in the studio. It's equally satisfying to hear something in my own head and make that happen also. I love the recording studio, and the process involved in putting music together in there. There's a kind of alchemical sensibility about it for me, since what you're working on only exists in time. I've always found that very mysterious and inspiring. It's probably why the process has such a great appeal to me.


5. The Value of Decay seem to be musically all over from Martial to Industrial to Punk to Heavy rock.. Was this just because it was recorded over a long period of time?


It was actually recorded in a really short amount of time, probably 3 weeks total recording time over 6 months. It only took that long since I did everything myself except the drums and a few overdubs. It was recorded in 2006 but I didn't manage to mix it until around a year ago. I had twice that material to choose from and just had to get really specific about the concept. The variety of material is just a result of decisions made supporting the overall vision.


6. Do you like or want to perform live as a solo artist ?


I've done it, but I prefer being part of a band right now than having the whole thing resting on me. We play some of my solo stuff right now, as well as things we've come up with together. It's a nice little batch of varied material to pick from if we feel like it.


7. You have a new full bad County Bucks as well tell us a bit about that and how it came to be?


I just felt like playing guitar again, after not playing at all for a few years, so I called up a couple
of guys I knew and we started playing just for fun. We didn't have a plan other than to drink some wine
and have a good time. I just wanted to plug in, turn up, and get that feeling.
We're looking for a new drummer right now. If there's anyone out there who wants the job, 
drop me a line. As soon as we've got someone, we'll be right back out there on tour, and in the studio.


8. Is this Solo release a one off with Southern Lord or is this going to be a longer partnership?


I've known Greg Anderson a long time, and we've done a variety of things throughout that time. He's 
always been supportive of anything I've done and I'm sure we'll continue to work on anything of mine
that might be suitable for the label in the future.


9. If the Melvins were to ask you to work with them again would you do so or is the past the past?


I really don't know how to answer that, since I've never even thought about the possibility of it.
I produced a couple of their best records, played at some of the biggest shows with them, and 
also played on some of their best records, so I'm inclined to be satisfied with the quality of
the work we did together, and leave it at that.


10. What are some bands that are currently influencing what your musical madness in compostion...


I can't say there's anyone influencing me in particular at this point, but I am enjoying Tom Waits new record. Also listening to Mahler symphonies, Beethoven string quartets. 




11. Whats you thoughts on the current New Media... Digital Downloads, Webzine, Internet radio etc . Is it a blessing or a curse?


It is both. The good thing is that record companies no longer have the monopoly on distributing and manufacturing music. Now you can record in your house and have something online for the world to listen to the minute you finish it. The bad thing to me is that it has reduced music to data that is infinitely disposable. People carry around 100,000 tunes in their pocket. Cloud based systems will make virtually every recording ever made instantly available to anyone with a phone. The age of instant digital gratification renders it all meaningless like grains of sand on a beach. It also sounds bad, and is usually reproduced through awful sounding systems and speakers. Ultimately the record companies have triumphed by figuring out a way to generate revenue through the licensing of data. 
They don't even have to sell a physical object at all. Now they can sell an inferior version of the data contained on a CD for the same amount as a CD, and have no one complain. The population rejoices...they have 100,000 songs in their pocket.
Buy a record, even a CD. You can hold it. It also sounds good. 






12. Thank you for the time any closing thoughts here


Read Jung. Listen to Mahler.

Comments