SOKROVENNO Interview is up @ AZM 2/7/2010


Sokrovenno members (Click to see larger picture)


Sokrovenno

SOKROVENNO

http://www.myspace.com/bandsokrovenno

1. For those of us new to the band a background would be great.

Sokrovenno is a band with many influences, musically and lyrically. I am fascinated by wild nature and eastern European post-modern landscapes. I wanted to mix this with something that belongs to my culture. First because I hate hearing (and of course reading) about stupid teenager topics, second because I really love our Latin past.


2. Your sound to my ears is a mix of Ritual/ Nature Based Post Black metal
and the days of Nordic Black metal aggression are you fans of Bands like
Agalloch and Wolves in the throne room they seem to be Kindred spirits?

I find it difficult to fit our music in the Black Metal scene even though it’s the simplest way to describe it. About Nordic BM: I recognise the importance of Scandinavian bands in the birth of this genre but, from my point of view, there’s no “true Norwegian trade mark” which can prevent those bands from getting worse and worse. Moreover, it’s really funny finding on Myspace people who promote their selves as Norwegian, as if the music is of secondary importance. The most interesting news come from middle and eastern Europe; Particularly France. Swedish bands still have something to say. I’ve always been sceptical about the American scene. There is some band, like Agalloch, which deserves the notoriety they have but I can’t find anything new or interesting in bands like Wolves In The Throne Room and I really would like someone to explain for me how did Leviathan, Xasthur, Twilight become famous. If they were European I think that wouldn’t have happened.


3. Your working with Bleak Art Records how did that come to be?

I think it’s a normal friendly work relationship.


4. What does SOKROVENNO mean its very interesting name?

It’s Russian. I found it translated as “the most holy woods”. It also has to do with the spirituality of an individual. It also expresses my eastern philia. I think someone thought a Russian name sounds strange to a band that sings in Italian and Latin. These people probably also think we have nationalistic aims, which we are quite the opposite.

5. De Rerum Natura seems to have been recorded in 2007 what is the reason
behind over 2 yrs to release it on proper label?

It’s a very troubled story. There have been problems with our first graphic designer and contract priority the label had to achieve before it could invest on our promotion. Moreover the print implant made an error in the laser print on the disc and we had to print all the cds again.


6. Sokrovenno being form Italy with a long history of great Black and Death
metal bands and labels did this influence your sound esp with labels like
Avantgarde, Eibon and My Kingdom Music being there and releasing so many
great band?

Italy sometimes surprises me. I’m not so willing to speak highly of my nation. But recently I understood there is a huge variety of situations here. From Excellence to complete shit. This includes every aspect of Italian society. Speaking about music, there have been important names develop here in the past. Necrodeath, Bulldozer and Mortuary Drape were important names years ago. I still can’t explain why, at some point, they got lost in the metal scene. In the last few years a new wave of promising bands is raising but it seems they haven’t the strength to break Italian borders and make it to the international scene. I also think there are prejudices within the metal scene. Anyway, apart from Janvs in a small way, I didn’t get influenced by Italian bands nor labels.


7. Does Sokrovenno like to perform at all or is it more just a studio
project?

At first I didn’t like the idea of performing live. I don’t like the behaviour of bands and fans at concerts. When I heard a friend of mine talking about Kanwulf of Nargaroth leaving the scene in Desenzano, offended by the flashes of the cameras I laughed out loud. I don’t like the idea of being a rock star and I don’t aim to notoriety for me as a person. Performing live gives bodies to the music and my concept is different. On the other hand, a band can certainly build publicity in this way, people will need to understand our approach is different, So, this way there are no objections.


8. There is a large mix of acoustics, Death/Black and Doom metal going on
wth your CD was it hard to create in studio or was it just natural
progression?

It was our first professional studio recording so we had to get confident before optimizing the work. Apart from that it came pretty natural. There are no weird instruments or particularly complicated parts. Facing a metronome for the first time can create some problems to someone but I’ve been studying music for years now and I always use it.


9. I read that some of the lyrics were inspired by I Century b.C.
Lucretius. tell us about this?

I really like that guy. Everything that had to be said about the evil influence of religion on society has been written by now. Lucretius is one of those authors and he had the ability of writing some of the most beautiful verses Roman culture gave birth to.


10. Are Sokrovenno fans of the modern digital age of mp3s, podcasts and
webzines or do you find it too easy to get you name out before a band is
truly ready??

I’m am not a moralist and I hate people who do it. I don’t think there should be someone to decide whether a band is ready or not. There is the public for that opinion. I think it’s up to the listeners to decide. I’ll give you an example: Svartthron promoted himself some years ago as little genius who produced a shitty album at the age of 18. I listened to his stuff and I think he’d better kept it for himself. But who am I to decide for others? About mp3s and digital age.. the same. I read interview where bands say “aaahhh, those beautiful ancient times”.. I think these people should grow up.


11. What would a DVD release from the band be like more a movie/ Theme
format or collection of songs just in video format. I can see a very visual
end to your music..

I never thought of a dvd. Sokrovenno videos would probably fit Negura Bunget style.


12. Are the members of Sokrovenno followers of the old heathen ways or does
this just come to play as a theme for the music?

You make me laugh this way. Heathenism is not a theme of our music. When I point my finger at religion, I am not looking at one in particular. It’s the religious ritualistic behaviour. Paganism is not different and I can’t stand with people going in a woods gathering around a stone, holding other’s hands and acting like hippies. But the funniest thing is that if you tell them they are hippies they get angry because of course they hate hippies! So, Shit on those left handed sons of flowers, pretending to be neo-fascists. Do you see some similarity with a band called Graveland? I do…


13. thank you for the time any closing thoughts here..

Thanks to you, nothing to add.

Comments